Friday, September 12, 2008

Back at Hanna!

Hanna Fenichel, the preschool I wish I went to. Sydney is a graduate of this world of dress up, messy play, animals and endless hours of creative play. Bella and Preston have been following in her footsteps and are now firmly planted there. They talk endlessly about "their school" and their teachers and friends. Their first day back this year was full of excitement as they wondered what changes had happened to the school while they were away for the summer. I was excited to know that all the paint, sand and water play could now be done a school and not in my house for a few months.





Bella is in a new classroom with new teachers this year. Her teachers, Eva and Marta have been with the school for years and have a wonderful way of incorporating science the 3 R's and friendship into the day with out the kids figuring out that they are not just having fun. And how could the kids help but be intrigued with what they have to offer. Walking into their room you see four different kinds of animals, a mother rabbit with 3 babies, 2 hermit crabs, 2 parakeets and a millipede. As the children learn the basics like beginning reading and writing there are rabbits hopping around the classroom and beautiful music softly playing in the background. I wish I could spend a few day's here. In true Bella form she asks me after only a week of school if she "has to go EVERY day". I just smiled and said gently that yes she "gets" to go every day. I was also smiling inside as I thought that with all that preschool has to offer nothing was better then a day with Mom! I think we will have to take a few day's off of school together.

Preston has totally changed regarding preschool. Last year he really wanted nothing to do with it. This year on the first day he walked right into his classroom, gave his teacher a huge hug and got to work painting. He has been coming home talking about all his friends and the fun play they did together. He is very social and happy. Those of you who know Preston and our struggles over the past year know what a pleasant change with is. I'm so happy for him and this new world that has opened up to him.



1 comment:

Shari said...

They look so cute, Katy!