Sunday, March 29, 2009

Flower's, Hat's, Gloves and Hot Chocolate!

FLOWER'S, HAT'S, GLOVES AND HOT CHOCOLATE!


Sydney turned 7 years old. I'm not sure how it has happened that I've been a mother now for 7 years as I know I have not aged one single year, ha ha. We celebrated in true Sydney style with a tea party. Being the social butterfly that she is we narrowed the guest list down to 13 girls. I'm telling you that was really hard for her. Sydney said "This was the BEST day of MY LIFE!". I loved it too.
The Birthday Girl coming down to her guests.

A game of Pass the Parcel. 

Hat decorating. Good job Sydney!

Tea Time! 

Eyrn and Lily looking so cute!


Preston even had a "Magic hat" has he called it.

Haley and Konatsu using there best table manners. 




Sydney is such an amazing little girl. She is so thoughtful in all she does and says. She takes her responsibilities as the Big Sister VERY seriously. I have been known to say quite frequently to her that "I am the Mother, I can handle this...". But I really do appreciate all she does for me and how much she loves her sister and brother. She told Todd and the other kids one day that, "Mom should not have to do all the work, and Daddy should start to cook." I don't think we need to go as far as Todd cooking but it made me feel good that she notices that I work hard for everyone. 

More recently she has been talking about getting baptized
 and wants to starting to read The Book of Mormon on her own. I know this is because we have such good friends and teachers at church who are good examples to her and reinforce what we are trying to teach her at home. 

Sydney has sooo many interests right now. It is hard to keep up with it all but I don't want her to miss out on anything. So right now she is playing softball, going to gymnastics classes, musical theater and art classes. She is really good at all of these activities so when softball season started I didn't have the heart to take her out of anything. So far she is thriving and her school work seems to be improving also. 

(Sydney March 17th,  about an hour old. Todd said she was so quiet and awake, checking her Daddy out.)

Sydney's birthday more than any of my other children's birthday's make me reflect on how lucky I am to be a mother. Maybe because she is my first, maybe because I came very close to not being able to raise her and see her grow up.  

When she was only minutes old I had to hand her over to a nurse so I could be taken care of. We thought I would be gone for about an hour or so. I remember the nurse had to use some force to take her from my arms as there was an urgency to get me to the operating room. An uncontrollable urge made me hold her tighter for a minute and look straight into her eyes. I can still see those dark, bright newborn eyes of hers in my mind.  Something in me did not want to hand her over. I didn't know it would be days before I would hold her and weeks before I would see her clearly again. Through those first few hours, days and weeks of bad news I always knew I would be here and I would be the one to raise her. I know how lucky I am and try to never forget what a treasure motherhood is. 

Happy 7th Birthday Sydney.
We love, love, love you!

4 comments:

Shari said...

Such cute pics. Love the baby picture. I am so behind in blogging! I have 3 kids' birthdays to talk about still. Ugh!

Happy Bday Sydney!

Oh and we need to talk...need to know what happened when she was born and we need to discuss your hamster issues.

Tiffany said...

Great post Katy! You are an awesome Mom! I'm sure Sydney will remember her party for a long time it was amazing!

Jenn S. said...

Oh Katy! I remember when she was born so clearly - it was so scary and I remember praying really hard that you would be okay. She is such a beautiful girl and you are one amazing mother!

Ann said...

I remember when you first moved here we went walking together and you told me your birth story. CRAZY!!! Very cute party! I wonder if those are the hats you originally ordered or if they are new ones!