Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Baby is 1

I have really been reflecting on the past 18 months. I has not been the easiest year and a half but one thing I can say is that is has brought our family closer together. We have found more love and joy than we knew before.

Each child brings with them their own temperament to a family group. We are so lucky that we have been able to have 4 children all of whom are sweet, loving, polite, smart and strong willed. They are all very different except in one thing, they all love each other and us their parents unconditionally. I'm lucky because I have made a lot of mistakes and they always forgive me and love me still.

I'm sad and also rejuvenated that I'm done with the "THE YEAR OF THE BABY". I'm off and literally running into the year of the toddler. Shari and Ann, I think this year might just be harder.

Davis turned 1 on June 9th. He has been walking for about a month but not independently. This week for my parents visit and his birthday party he decided to be done with crawling completely. And from the bumps, cuts and bruises on his face he should have maybe practice a little more. He is my earliest walker and a dare devil on top of it. He loves to be in the water, dirt and sand. He could spend hours in our backyard and stands at the door asking to be let out. The kids have left the back door open and I have found him out there cruising around all alone. Not a worry in the world.



So what better way to celebrate then a water,
bubble
party in the backyard. When I found out my parents could come for the week I threw it in to high gear and put a party together with the kids and the neighborhood gang. Everyone from 1 to the 9 had a
blast. Davis loved all the activities and joined in on everything. He also seemed to love all the attention and did not cry once.
He really got into his "Smash Cake", and I let him go at it.
I think some made it into his mouth!

We all love this little guy so much. I could go on and on about how all the kids and their friends adore him. He is happy 90 percent of the time. The other 10 percent is when he is hungry, sick or tired. He has brought so much love and closeness to our family. He adores his sisters and thinks Preston is the best thing in the world. He loves to cuddle with me and has started coming to me with toys or books to look at with him.

Before Davis was born I was so worried about how I would handle a new baby and the other children. Once we saw each other I knew everything would be just fine. He has put up with shortened naps, long car rides, fast feeding and many, many school runs. He takes most of it in stride and repays me with smiles and laughter. His big brown eyes melt my heart and his smile soothes my worries.

I'm so lucky to have Davis Todd Wilson in my family. We would not be complete without him in our lives.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVIS!

3 comments:

Shari said...

Great post, Katy!!! I'm thinking we need to initiate another holiday titled the Year Of The One Year Old because you're right...it's so hard too!!

Happy birthday Davis!

Ann said...

Katy-he is RUNNING in that picture of him on the grass!!!! Oh, girl. You aren't kidding. You may look back on the "year of the baby" with fondness! :)

p.s. that cake was sooooo good!!!

Erin said...

Such a fun post Katy! Happy b-day to your sweet one year old.

And I agree completely. The SECOND year of the baby is by far the hardest. Age one is killer! I am barely getting by lately...