Monday, June 4, 2007

A bird in the house (again)...

A month or so ago I got a panicked call at work from Katy: "there's a huge bird in the house and I can't get it out!! Are you coming home to get it out?". I could hear Bella totally cracking up in the background and saying "Dad, there's a bird was in the house...and its pooping all over". I guess this gigantic bird flew in through the back door and was too freaked out to make an exit. Eventually Katy got it out using a combination of a broom, window screen and brute force. Bella talked about the "bird in the house" story for a week straight.

So fast forward to last week when I was home with Preston on a Saturday. As I walked in the dining room I saw something out of the corner of my eye - yep, another bird although just a little guy this time. I told Preston to come check it out and he got very exited. It was so little I figured it would be easy to catch - but the little guys are always the fastest ones. Preston got a real kick out of watching the bird get away every time I was just about to catch him. It flew between the kitchen and the living room about 5 times and at one point Preston and I just about had him cornered by the dinner table...but it went underneath his legs, which was by far his favorite part.

Eventually we caught him in a dish towel and took a real up close look. Preston got a total kick out of it and didn't want to let him go but we turned him loose in the backyard. He got away just fine, minus a few feathers that we're still finding in the house...

No comments: